Location : Mehrauli in South Delhi
Named After : Qutab-ud-din Aibak
Famous As : Highest brick tower in the world
Listed In : World Heritage Site
Quwwatu'l-Islam Mosque, The Iron Pillar, Alai Minar & Alai Darwaza
Built in :1193 A.D.
and ever attractive monument of Delhi which can be seen from
most parts of the city is called the Qutab Minar. Every body has the
same question when one sees the structure for the first time. The
question that is often being put up is "Why the monument is that
big?" or "Was there any specific reason to build such a tall
building or it was just a wish of the person who built it?" Well,
the exact reason is assumed to have something related to commemorating
the victory. Mughals used to build victory towers to proclaim and
celebrate victories. Some say the minaret was used to offer prayer but
it is so tall that you can hear the person standing on the top. Also,
the minaret is not joined on to Qutuddin's mosque and the Iltutmish's
Minar is among the tallest and famous towers in the world. The minaret
is 234 feet high and the highest individual tower in the world. Other
towers in the world are the Great Pagoda in Pekin, China and the Leaning
Tower of Pisa in Italy but these towers are not as high as the Qutab
Minar in Delhi.
The Legend Of The Qutub
exists a tradition that the Qutub-Minar was built by Prithviraj, the
last Chauhan king of Delhi, for enabling his daughter to behold the
sacred river Yamuna, from its top as part of her daily worship.
Landmark In Islamic Architecture
The Minar's entire
architecture, however, bespeaks an Islamic origin, with two of its
prototypes in brick still existing at Ghazni, although Hindu craftsmen
were certainly employed for its construction, as is evident also from
certain 'Devanagari' inscriptions on its surface. Sometimes sculptured
stones from temples have been found utilised in it.
it was surmounted by a cupola, which fell down during an earthquake and
was replaced early in the 19th century with a new cupola in the late
Mughal style, by one Major Smith. It looked, however, so incongruous
that it was brought down in 1848, and may now be seen on the lawns to
the south east of the minar.
The Iron Pillar
the courtyard of the Quwwatu'l-Islam mosque stands the famous iron
pillar, which bears a Sanskrit inscription in Gupta script,
palaeographically assignable to the 4th century, a date which is also
confirmed by the peculiar style of its 'Amalaka'-capital.