Kerala is a green strip of land that lies in the West corner of the Indian Peninsula and considered as one of the top tourist spots of the country. Some of its tourist attractions are its natural beauty, art forms, cultural diversity and the Ayurveda.
The total land area of Kerala is 38,863 sq. km (15,005 square miles). Its capital is Thiruvananthapuram and the official religions are Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. The official language of the people is called Malayalam.
Major Tourist destinations
- Kerala backwaters - stretching across central Kerala, a
- Kovalam Beach - a popular beach near Trivandrum
- Kumarakom - bird sanctuary near Kottayam
- Munnar - One Of the most untouched hill stations in India
- Varkala Papanasam Beach - near Trivandrum, with a
- Silent Valley National Park - rain forest
- Thekkady - Periyar Tiger Reserve
- Wayanad - Caves, waterfalls and pristine forests
- Bekal Fort - Fort in North Kerala, On the sea shore
- Alapuzha - Backwater,kuttanadu, alapuzha beach,Marrari beach,Pathiramanal(midnight island),Thannermukkom ,Nehru trophy snake boat race(Augest 9th Saturday)House boat cruice Ayurveda.
- By Plane
There are three airports in Kerala, with flights to domestic and international destinations. The airports are at Kozhikode, Kochi(Nedumbasseri) and Thiruvananthapuram. The airports have several carriers operating international flights around the world. Most carriers offer connection flights to one of the airports in Kerala. Domestic destinations accessible by direct flights from these airports include Chennai, Bangalore, Mumbai, Agatti, Hyderabad,Mangalore,Goa and Delhi.
- By Train
Indian Railways operates several trains to and from (and within) Kerala. Trains into Kerala start from all the neighbouring states like Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, etc. Long-haul direct train services from cities like Delhi and Mumbai are also available.
- By Bus
Inter-state private and government buses operates between neighboring states. Usually the journey is performed in the night so that you can escape the heat of the day.