The Periyar Widlife sanctuary is spread across 777 sq km, of which 360 sq km is thick evergreen forest, the Periyar Wiild Life Sanctuary was declared a Tiger Reserve in 1978. Noted for its geomorphology, diversity of wildlife and scenic beauty, the Reserve attracts visitors all over the world and is one of the world's most fascinating natural wildlife reserves.
Tourist Attractions in Periyar National Park
- Apart from Elephants, the other animals to be seen in the Periyar
sanctuary are Gaur, Wild Pigs, Sambar, Barking Deer, Mouse Deer,
Dole or Indian Wild Dog and very rarely, a Tiger. There are, now, an
estimated 40 tigers here. Four species of primates are found at
Periyar - the rare lion-tailed macaque, the Nilgiri Langur, Common
Langur And Bonnet Macaque. Periyar also happens to be the habitat of
the elusive Nilgiri Tahr, which is rarely to be seen.
- Kumily : Situated just 4-kms from Periyar, Kumily is a
growing town where tourism is fastly catching up just like the spice
trade, the major occupation of this small town. The town is also
well equipped with the excellent hotels and resorts for
- Cradomom Hills : Periyar and Kumily are the most
convenient points from which visitors can easily explore Kerala's
beautiful Cardamom hills. Guide will approach you at offers of trips
via jeep or taxi to the hills and if you can get a group together,
these trips work out as a good travel value.
- Boat Cruises : Boat cruises make the best option to check out the wilds of Periyar Sanctuary.Today the Periyar lake presents an excellent boating spot for tourists. Although it is unusual to see many animals from the boats, still you spot a family of Elephants, Wild Boar, and Sambar Deer by the water's edge. The upper deck is best for wildlife viewing when taking a boat cruise, but better turn up half an hour early to get the best seat. To maximise you chances, take the 7.00 am boat. You can also consider renting your own boat.
- By Air : Kochi (Cochin) at 200-kms or Madurai in Tamil
Nadu at140-kms are the nearest airports from Periyar.
- By Train: Kottayam at 114-kms is the nearest railhead
- By Road : Kumily, the nearest town from Periyar is well served by both state and private buses from Kottayam, Ernakulam and Madurai in Tamil Nadu.